Challengermode was founded in 2014 with the mission to make esports truly accessible for regular gamers. Today we're building a platform that provides the fundamental online esports infrastructure for all relevant stakeholders within the ecosystem.
With 3 billion people worldwide playing computer games and over 220 million people per month watching professional esports tournaments, Challengermode's platform is a place for regular gamers to congregate, practice or compete in esports. Our best-in-class tech automates tournament creation and allows gamers to easily play competitions across any device or console while enabling community building and monetization at scale for organizers of all kinds.
We are a tight crew with a high average tenure and we're excited to have new people join our quickly growing team.
The Challengermode platform is currently being developed by three cross-functional product teams of software engineers, designers, and product managers, as well as a foundational infrastructure team. The teams are largely autonomous but collaborate closely with the rest of the company. In order to scale up the organization while maintaining speed and quality, we are looking for a leader that can maintain cohesion across teams and coach the other senior members and team leads with hands-on management and mentorship.
By taking a leadership role in the company, you’ll focus on managing and scaling the tech organization, representing its needs to the rest of the org while ensuring the teams have the resources and business context necessary to deliver on their goals. You’ll develop a deep technical understanding of the platform and its capabilities, but will mainly be tasked to manage the interpersonal and process-related aspects of the software development; partnering with the CTO who's mostly focused on the technical and architectural aspects of the platform development.
What you'll do
- Take on responsibility for people management, training/mentorship, and personal growth of employees in the engineering department.
- Help the development team achieve operational efficiency through lean development processes; removing bottlenecks, minimizing waste and maximizing value.
- Organizing and aligning the teams based on function or missions in order to achieve company objectives.
- Recruiting, onboarding and training of new technical employees.
- Scale up the development organization while maintaining operational efficiency.
- Improve communication by representing the needs of the development organization to other departments and executive leadership.
- Participate in and guide platform development and new projects together with the CTO and other senior developers.
- Participate in product discovery and delivery together with product management.
Who you are
We’re looking for a strong leader with a background in software engineering to complement the CTOs duties on the managerial side of things. You should be able to leverage years of technical expertise with a strong understanding of business needs.
- Preferably 5+ years of experience in software development and 4+ years of experience with people management.
- A University Engineering or Comp Sci degree - or the experience to make up for that.
- You understand what it means to build secure and scalable systems for the modern web.
- You have a strong product sense and can use this to inform your decisions
- Experience recruiting and onboarding technical staff
- Experience with project management and reporting to senior staff or other peers at the management level.
- Excellent communication skills, having both a deep sense of empathy and the ability to motivate and inspire
- Hands-on experience driving and implementing lean and agile development processes.
- Extra points if you are experienced or familiar with microservices architectures and any of the following technologies or tools: .NET, React, TypeScript, Azure.
Why work at Challengermode?
Challengermode offers you a chance to work on a quickly growing esports platform reaching millions of gamers and tournament organizers globally. At Challengermode, you’ll be a part of a highly ambitious and supportive team on a mission to make esports easily accessible for everyone.
We believe that it’s important to work hard and reach for the sky but we also believe it’s more fun to do so with friends and people whose skills you can rely on. Everyone on the team is equally adept at working in a team setting as they are working individually. Prestige is nowhere to be found in our company, everyone can talk to everyone - we’re happy to listen. If you think you have what it takes, we want to hear from you!
What we offer
- High performance, skilled and goal-oriented colleagues
- A fun, friendly, and inclusive work environment
- Hands-on, freedom-with-responsibility environment
- Opportunities for personal growth with varied responsibilities and tasks
- Competitive salary
- Possibility to acquire stock options (after 6 months employment)
- Newly refurbished office located in central Stockholm
Location: Head office, Stockholm. You should be located in or willing to move to Stockholm.